Contributor Bio: Daniel Mick

I am really pleased add another hand to the Nonjatta boat today. I've been rowing for all my worth but with the help of Daniel, and anybody else who is interested, I think we can row this thing faster. Daniel begins his Nonjatta career with a coup - Togouchi 18 years old. I knew nothing about this whisky before Daniel discovered it. Not only is this a new label for me but it appears to be a completely new distillery that I have never heard of. I will post Daniel's review separately but below is a bit of a bio for Daniel:

Daniel works as an English teacher on the Japan Exchange and Teaching Program (JET) in Gifu prefecture in the heart of Japan's main island (a happy coincidence because I too once worked as a JET in Gifu). He says: "I've been in Japan for 2 years already and will stay till at least August 2008. I have 5 years of various bar tending, bar managment, and alcohol retail experience. Once in Japan, I immediately noticed the difference in liquor prices; almost all retail liquor in Japan is cheaper than wholesale in the US! I'd never been much interested in whisky before, but decided this was my chance to explore. So I've committed myself to trying at least one single malt whisky a week until I leave Japan. I hope to work my way through at least all of Liquor Mountain's ~65 single malt's by next August."

He rates his whiskies on a 100 point scale, something I have never had the guts to do:

90 points or more (= Top of the bill, it doesn't get any better than this)
85 to 89 points (= Highly Recommendable)
80 to 84 points (= Recommendable)
70 to 79 points (= An 'average' single malt)
60 to 69 points (= Below average)
50 to 59 points (= Questionable)
49 points or less (= Avoidable)

Comments

Anonymous said…
That tasting scale is from one of the Malt Maniacs, Johannes himself I believe. I'm going to overall my rating system after a month or so to more suit my personal opinions.

Popular Posts