Chichibu 3yo for Whisky Talk Fukuoka 2013

Post by Stefan Van Eycken, Tokyo
"Whisky Talk" is the highlight of the year for whisky enthusiasts based in Fukuoka. The third edition was held last weekend and it's clear that the organizers have a soft spot for Ichiro's Malts. For the 1st (2011) and 2nd edition (2012), they bottled two young Hanyu casks with eye-catching labels sporting a wolf and a crane respectively. For this year's bottling, they're continuing the animal theme with what looks like a beaver, but this time they're going for a 3-year old Chichibu. It should be available soon - priced at 11,000 yen - so keep an eye out for it, if you're a fan of this young distillery's output.

Read more about Chichibu Distillery here.

Comments

Aaron said…
I thought the previous 2 versions both featured an endangered species, if they follow the same logic, then this 3rd version is probably another endangered animal, maybe the Mongolian Beaver?
That's a very interesting point, Aaron. It hadn't occurred to me that it was a series of endangered animals, but it's definitely a possibility. Next time when I'm in Fukuoka and meet with the people behind the festival and this bottling, I'll ask them!
Aaron said…
Did a little research on that. 2011 was the "日本オオカミ" Japanese wolf. 2012 should be the Japanese crane. I really appreciate the thoughts of those who come up with these subtle but meaningful label designs.

The 2012 Japanese Crane was one of my favorite Hanyu last year. Too bad I didn't mange to get hold of a bottle of the 日本オオカミ back in 2011.
Thanks for clarifying that, Aaron. I, myself, found out too late about the Japanese wolf bottling. I guess many people missed out on the first one because the festival was new, and unless you were there at the first festival, you wouldn't have known about it.
Leland said…
Not that it really matters, but I'm pretty sure that's an otter, not a beaver.
Leland said…
Just occurred to me that if there's a link to endangered species, it could be the Japanese river otter (although it's now considered extinct, rather than endangered). More info here.
Thanks for your comment. You're right - it's the Japanese river otter. Biology is not my strongest point - but it is part of a series of Japanese endangered/extinct animals and a friend of mine - who knows much more about this than I do - confirmed it was the "kawauso" (or river otter). Thanks again for clarifying this. Much appreciated.

Popular Posts