New Mars Release: 'The Lucky Cat'

Post by Stefan Van Eycken, Tokyo
Tomorrow, Hombo Shuzo is releasing a new Mars expression. It's a blended whisky finished in port and madeira casks, and comes bottled at 39% - somewhat nostalgically (since this harkens back to the days when whiskies bottled at 39% were in a lower tax bracket). The price tag is definitely of this day and age, though: 4,320 yen. Limited to 1,200 bottles, it'll be interesting to see if this is received as warmly as the Wine Cask Finished Iwai Tradition released a few years ago (at a third of the price of this Lucky Cat bottling). We'll see if we can get our mitts on a bottle, and get back to you on that as soon as we can.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Out of stock.
Anonymous said…
or not out of stock at all. can purchase direct from site with no issue (just received 3 bottles) 14th Sept
Martin said…
Plenty at Hasegawa
Anonymous said…
Hasegawa was out of inventory by this evening. I was able to find only two remaining bottles after a long search.
Caleb said…
I've only ever bought one bottle of Mars whisky - Shinshu, another 39% whisky - and it froze when I put it in the freezer to chill it (none of the other whiskys in there froze)! Obviously it couldn't really have been 39%, so if that isn't true, what else isn't true? Makes me doubt the company as a whole. I inquired about it to Hombo twice (in Japanese) but was ignored both times. It's too bad, I'd like to find some other good Japanese distillers since Nikka and Suntory are jacking up their prices like there's no tomorrow, but I guess I'll have to keep searching.
Scott said…
What temperature is your freezer? Did you take a reading to verify the actual temperature in the freezer?
Caleb said…
I didn't take a reading, but it's just a normal freezer. I had a few other bottles of whiskey in there and none of them froze. My freezer would have had to be at about -23 degrees to freeze the whisky, which I find hard to believe, but I guess checking the temperature is the only way to be sure...
Anonymous said…
why in the hell would you freeze up the whisky ???
it closes up the tatstes

you need to learn drinking it at room temperature
Unknown said…
has anyone tried the whiskey? are there any reviews / tasting notes out there on this whiskey?

Thanks!

Popular Posts